Former Ward 28 Councilor, Collet Ndhlovu, has thrown his hat back in the ring to run for the vacant council seat after he successfully filed his nomination papers Friday ahead of the March by-election.
The former councillor lost to his successor Hapson Ncube during the MDC-T primary elections ahead of the July 30, 2018 elections.
However, Ncube succumbed to a short illness in December last year, hardly six months after he was elected.
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) has declared that the by-election will be held on March 30.
Ndhlovu was one of the candidates who filed their papers at the nomination court which sat at the Large City Hall.
Some of the candidates that had successfully filed their papers include Nokuthula Ndlovu (ZAPU), Nkosikhona Nyoni (MRP), Kidwell Mujuru (ZANU-PF), Merjury Dube (UDA), Nkosinothando Ncube (Independent candidate), Nkosentsha Nkala (Independent candidate) and Godfrey Mushwire (Independent candidate).
However, it remains to be seen if more candidates from the MDC Alliance will file their papers, after the party failed to hold its primary elections yesterday.
The voting process was halted mid way after some people confiscated the ballot papers forcing the electoral process to prematurely end without a declared winner.
MDC Alliance Bulawayo Provincial Deputy Spokesperson Edwin Ndlovu said the party will decide on one candidate.
“There were four candidates for the primary elections, It is not for me to say whether Collet Ndhlovu will be voted back, all four candidates belong to the party and whoever is chosen by the people of Ward 28 will be our official candidate,” said Ndlovu.
The Nomination Court will close at 4pm with the electoral body announcing the list of successful candidates who will contest in the March by-election.
More to follow…