News

Fire scare at hero`s funeral service

A fire scare at the Large City Hall was short-lived, Friday, after a fire brigade crew reacted quickly to attend to smoke emanating from one of the toilets in the building.

The fire alarm went off immediately causing momentary panic during a memorial service for the late national hero Professor Callistus Ndlovu, which was being held in the building.

The fire crew arrived moments after the service had ended and the coffin was being loaded into a waiting hearse.

A fire attendant who spoke on condition of anonymity as he is not cleared to speak to the media said the smoke was caused by an electrical fault.

“The smoke emanated from the electrical breakers in the men`s toilet after the insulation covering the wires had started melting,” said the official.

The fire incident happens at a time when the government is yet to solve the bomb blast that killed two security details during a Zanu PF rally in June last year.

Senior government officials like Vice President Kembo Mohadi, Zanu PF national chairman Oppah Muchinguri and the wife to Vice President Constantino Chiwenga, Mary, sustained serious injuries.

 

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Close
Back to top button
Close