News

No Gqom, as Babes Wodumo cancels Vic Falls show

… xenophobic messages were posted on her hacked twitter

South African Gqom artist, Bongekile “Babes Wodumo” Simelane, has cancelled her performance at Mapopoma Festival in Victoria Falls following controversial xenophobic tweets that emanated from her twitter account.

Babes’ alleged her twitter account was hacked and apologised to her fans for the mishap.

Xenophobic attacks in South AFrica have left five people killed and many injured, while others lost their property and businesses.

The gqom queen was due to perform in the resort town from December 29 to 31, 2019.

In a statement, Mapopoma Festival Communications Department, said after extensive consultations between the show organisers and Babes’ management, they decided cancelling was best for her security considering the sensitivity around xenophobia.

“The reaction from the public points to the fact that Babes Wodumo’s safety and security at the festival is seriously compromised and as such, it was mutually resolved that her performance at the festival be cancelled due to these growing security concerns,” said the festival’s communication department

The information department, said due to the cancellation, Mapopoma Festival apologised to all stakeholders for the inconveniences caused.

“We would like to apologise to all its stakeholders for the inconvenience that arises from this cancellation of Babes Wodumo’s performance.”

Mapopoma Festival is however set to proceed as planned and more details are to be availed next month.

“The festival is going ahead according to plan and Mapopoma Festival will in the next coming weeks, avail more exciting headline acts that are expected to give revelers a memorable 2019.

“Mapopoma festival where we expect to celebrate our culture and embrace the spirit of love and Ubuntu that binds us all as African brothers and sisters.”

Last week, South Africa’s entertainer Dr Malinga also cancelled his scheduled performance in Bulawayo at Skyz Metro FM’s Umcimbi Wabantu last Saturday, due to attacks against foreign nationals.

Another South African duo, Mafikizolo, also cancelled their show that was slated for this Friday after Zimbabweans threatened to boycott the show following the ongoing xenophobic attacks.

Ever since the attacks started, Zimbabweans circulated #MuteMafikizolo messages on social media in solidarity with victims of xenophobic attacks.

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close