News

Suspected cop killers languish in prison

TWO men from Bulawayo who are facing allegations of fatally stoning a police officer in Njube suburb during the violent protests on January 14 have been further remanded in custody.

Charles Thomas (56) and Bernard Sibanda (18) who are alleged to have been part of the mob that stoned the police officer are facing a murder charge.

Bulawayo provincial magistrate Tinashe Tashaya further remanded the pair in custody to March 4.

The pair awaits indictment to the High Court where their case will be heard.

The deceased officer who was in uniform was carrying out duties of maintaining peace and order in Njube suburb.

Thomas was once charged with treason together with Paul Siwela and John Gazi for calling for the secession of the Matabeleland region from the rest of the country.

He was later acquitted.

The court heard Thomas allegedly struck the deceased officer, Ekson Maune, repeatedly with a stone at the back of his head until blood gushed out and they left him for dead.

He succumbed to the injuries on Tuesday at the United Bulawayo Hospitals (UBH) where he was admitted into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Prosecuting, Mufaro Mageza told the court that on Monday last week, Sibanda and Thomas were among a mob that stoned Maune.

He said upon sensing danger, Maune sought refuge at J84 in Njube but Sibanda struck him with a stone on the head and he fell to the ground.

“The pair was in amongst a mob on a public violence spree. Sibanda struck Maune with a stone on the head and he fell to the ground. The mob grabbed Maune and sat him on the ground before Thomas repeatedly struck him at the back of his head until blood gushed out,” said Mageza.

Police then launched a manhunt leading to the duo`s arrest.

 

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close